422 Obserwatorzy
13 Obserwuję
anna3101

Ania's books

I'm an aquarius and yes, I do believe in the signs of zodiac :) I believe pretty much in everything (UFOs, reincarnation, ghosts, magic), I love animals (especially cats and ducks), am a vegetarian and will not buy anything tested on animals. I enjoy learning foreign languages, I speak Russian (my native), Polish, English, French as well as some basic Spanish and Italian (I'm also learning Dutch). As for reading... well, yes, I'm doing that all the time :) I love Russian, English and French classics, as well as typical chick-lit and thrillers, and there really is no genre I don't like at all, if it's well-written and has a good plot.

My account on Goodreads: anna3101

Teraz czytam

Czarna lista firm
Klaus Werner-Lobo, Hans Weiss
Jak dobrze mówić i pisać po polsku
Andrzej Markowski
Nadaj życiu kierunek
Jörg Knoblauch, Johannes Hüger, Marcus Mockler, Werner Tiki Küstenmacher
New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook (Ring-bound)
Betty Edwards
Diet coaching. Poradnik dla wiecznie odchudzających się
Urszula Mijakoska
Dramat udanego dziecka
Alice Miller
Fodor's Costa Rica 2008 (Fodor's Gold Guides)
Fodor's
Eyewitness Companions: Religions (EYEWITNESS COMPANION GUIDES)
Philip Wilkinson
You're in Charge: A Guide to Becoming Your Own Therapist
Janette Rainwater
The Write-Brain Workbook: 366 Exercises to Liberate Your Writing
Bonnie Neubauer

Trust Us We're Experts: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future

Trust Us, We're Experts PA: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future - Sheldon Rampton, John Stauber This book was not an easy read and it took me ages to finish it. First of all, the subject itself is not much fun to think about. It's rather all doom and gloom, although I firmly believe everyone should familiarize themselves with this kind of information instead of hiding our heads in the sand and pretending everything's ok.Secondly, the book has a very dry, textbook-like style, and that's a pity because more people would read it if it were more accessible and "fun". Of course, it's hard to expect fun in a book dealing with such subjects as propaganda, false science, dirty money, greenhouse effect, pollution and corporate lies. But unfortunately, it's also hard to expect people who are already tired juggling their work and family lives to make an effort and dig into a "difficult kind of book" after a long exhausting day at the office. The information presented in the book is not brand new - it mostly covers the 90s - however, it does not make the facts any less appropriate and true. And, unfortunately, it does not mean that the kind of malpractice, manipulation and misinformation of the Big Corps have diminished in scope. Quite on the contrary...This book shows a long history of propaganda and how it is being used at present by governments and corporations - especially the latter. It's full of shocking stories of how industries pay enormous amounts of money to scientists, magazines, think tanks and successfully manipulate public opinion to accept things that are bad for the people's health, well-being and even life but good for the corporate profits. It explains how many ways there are (and you'll be surprised just how many) to do scientific research and get the required results without actually resorting to outward lying. It analyzes well-known and well-documented cases of corporate-funded scientific studies gone wrong, of petitions being falsified, of creating misleading organizations and programs of the "Environmental Panel for Clean Air" kind to promote things such as smoking, GMO, pesticides, nuclear programs etc. And my oh my, aren't those names just fantastic! For as long as we don't know who they are funded by, we may be really misled by the beautiful logos, mottos and whatever else not. However, their real aim is not to defend "sound science". It's to make more dollars. It's to make us believe their products are safe and indispensable. And also to make us deaf and blind to any warnings, side-effects and risks.It's not that I didn't know all of these things existed. It's just that I didn't know the scale of the phenomenon, and frankly, it is scary. I will never look at any piece of supposedly scientific information with the same eyes again. Next time I see another note in another newspaper telling me that "Scientists from the University X have proved that Y is good for you", I will not just take it for granted but ask myself who may benefit from it and just how close or far it is from the good old common sense.As the authors of the book rightly conclude, "Just as war is too important to leave it to the generals, science and technology are too important to leave in the hands of the experts" - especially if those hands regularly get lots of greeny-green dollars from Monsanto, DuPont, Phillip Morris, Unilever, Shell, Procter&Gamble and others. So let's not allow the greedy CEOs fool ourselves. Let's ask questions and read a bit to see both sides of every story. Let's not forget that the issues such as GMO labelling, greenhouse effect or bovine growth hormone are not something irrelevant, unimportant and far from our everyday lives. Both our future and that of our planet is at stake here. So let's be vigilant...